Beginner book sets are little books that use the same words throughout a given story to provide the reading practice and the self-confidence children need to become successful readers.
The size and weight of the books (usually under six inches square) make them easy for children to hold.
A friend who was completing her PhD, interviewed four years olds. One of the questions she asked them was, “What is the hardest thing about learning to read?”
One child piped up, “Holding the books!”
The image below shows sample pages from the, “Now I’m Reading” Series” by Nora Gaydos
Beginner book sets benefit children
Beginner (also known as emergent) book sets help children who are learning the basics of reading and allow them to practice the same words over and over. Children grow in confidence as they read a whole book by themselves.
- Most have only about 8 pages with very simple and repetitive sentences that are great for new readers.
- The engaging stories encourage children to read the stories many times.
- Beginner book sets engage children with fun illustrations on every page.
- Children are offered a variety of reading methods as the sets often offer both a phonics approach and a whole-language approach.
- The books expand children’s vocabularies and strengthens their reading comprehension.
- Each separate book offers a complete plot line, with a beginning, a middle, and an end, which helps develop a child’s understanding of “story”.
- Humorous text and appealing characters encourage children to retell the stories.
- Simple, repetitive text that uses the same words throughout a given story, provides reading practice and self-confidence
Benefits for Educators
- Book sets are easily rotated so children are exposed to different stories seasonally.
- Often ten little books come in a set for under $20, providing a variety of books for the children to look at.
- Some sets come with CDs and can be used in listening centers.
- They are easy to store in tubs in learning centers.
Tip! Children tend to choose books that the teacher has previously read to them..
More Beginner Book Sets
Pete the Cat Phonics Box: Includes 12 Mini-Books Featuring Short and Long Vowel Sounds (My First I Can Read)