Preschool and Kindergarten Graduation Ideas page 2
Ten tips for a stress free graduation #6 - #10...
More stress free kindergarten graduation ideas. Kindergarten graduation is a time for children and parents to celebrate their children's first year of school. Keep the event simple to avoid having stressed out children and parents as well as enjoying the event yourself.
6. Recite poems (or songs) learned throughout the year
- Have the children learn one or two poems a month through out the year and add each poem (with rebus type illustrations) to a duotang with the children's name on it.
- Children read the whole book of poems over and over during the year.
- If the children have a back up of poems they are already familiar with, choosing two or three for the grad ceremony is easy.
- The children are less nervous as they know the poems so well.
7. Download free diplomas
Download free printable diplomas, fill them in and have one ready for each child.
8. Ask someone to be in charge of photographs
- Ask someone else to take photos so you are free to give your attention to the children
- Near the end of the kindergarten graduation ceremony, ask a volunteer to take 2 photos of each child as they receive their diploma (if you are making the graduation book below save one photo for each child' book)
- Use a Polaroid™ camera if you want to add the photos to the scrapbooks and give them to the parents before they go home
- Have your volunteer take a group grad class photo with the teacher
9. Keep refreshments simple
- Provide napkins and simple finger food that doesn't require forks, plates, etc.
10. While you're thinking about graduation, plan ahead for next year
Make a graduation scrapbook gift for parents
Many children in our society are focused on getting things and it is beneficial to give them opportunities to make gifts to give. The following kindergarten graduation ideas may be too late for you to use now but can be put in place to start for the new school year.
In September start a folder marked, "Graduation", for each child. Have a stack of slightly heavier 8.5 x 11 papers stored to use all year so all the pages in the book will have the same look.
Have the students make a page of work for the book each month. By May the pages are ready to make into a book that will be a great graduation gift for the children to give to their parents at the graduation ceremony. It is also a record of the children's progress during the year.
- Take photos of each child in September, print them and store them away to add to the book covers in May.
- During the first week or two of kindergarten have the children attempt to print their name and draw a picture of themselves for the September page.
- Label the top of the page with the month.
- Document a few of each type of activity. Do not try and include the whole year's activities or you will be very busy. Examples:
- Draw pictures of their favorite school activities. Print their sentence below. .e.g. I love playing in the block center.
- Add a few samples of math or science activities, such as creating patterns, that reflect what the children have learned.
- Add a sample field trip page
- Add a few photos of the child throughout the year, if possible.
- In May staple or sew the pages together.
- Before things get too hectic, rent or buy one kindergarten graduation hat and gown.
- Ask a parent to take a photo of each student in the hat and gown and attach the new grad photo and the one taken in September to the cover of the book.
- Label each picture, "First week of school" and "Graduation time"
- Label the last blank page in the scrapbook, "Kindergarten (or preschool) Graduation Ceremony 20__" , list all the students names and leave a spot all ready for the parents to attach a grad class photo which will be taken at the graduation ceremony.
1. Ask the principal or another person to hand out diplomas...
2. Round up volunteers...
3. Keep the ceremony time during school hours...
4. Make it memorable but easy for all...
5. Suggest easy costumes...
Kindergarten graduation ideas - gifts
At times parents and grandparents ask me for kindergarten graduation ideas for gifts.
If you are choosing DVDs, I highly recommend the Reading Rainbow 4 Vol Gift Boxed Set
Reading Rainbow was a television series put out by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). The show, which promotes a love of books, has won 8 Emmy awards for Outstanding Children's Series over the last 11 years.
Puzzles, art activity sets, children's stationery, calendars, and journals, sticker sets and educational games and dvds make great gifts for young children. For more ideas for gifts for young children, read "kindergarten graduation ideas - gifts for children "...