Kindergarten Earth Day
Green Art - leaf rubbing planet Earth
Plant rubbings are a fun activity for a kindergarten Earth Day as new leaves and weeds are sprouting and are easy to collect. I combined Earth Day with the leaf rubbings to come up with a reminder to kids to care for the planet.
Go on a nature walk and have each child collect a few leaves of various shapes. Choose leaves that have fallen on the ground and only pick one or two from a living plant.
- three or four different leaves
- 11 x 17" cartridge paper
- black jumbo crayons with the paper taken off
- tape or sticky tak™
- watery green and blue paint
- black construction paper
Directions - The children:
- place the backs of the plants, leaf vein side up, on the table
- place a piece of paper over the leaves and secure the corners with sticky tak or tape to prevent the paper from moving around
- rub the paper with the side of a thick black crayon (paper taken off).
- have students rub over and over the paper until the leaf shapes show
- paint over the crayon with blue and green watery paint
- use a plate to trace a large circle when the paintings are dry
- cut the "planet Earth" out
- Mount on black construction paper to look like a planet.
- Print a sentence about kindergarten Earth Day if you wish and tape on
Environmental education pages:
Environmental education activities skills list
Free science worksheets
Green kids and Earth Day
What is Earth Day about?
Leaf rubbing planet Earth - art activity
Pressed plants art activity
Easter Science Activity
Outdoor ed. degree
Recycling for kids - Part 1
Recyling for kids - Part 2
Science books for children
Tree Seedling Experiments
Year long environmental activity ideas
Earth Day toys and resources
In Social Studies Section: The Food Chain