Kindergarten Halloween Pumpkin Minibook
Make this simple preschool or kindergarten Halloween minibook to practice the letter Pp (or J for jack-o-lantern or H for Halloween).
Begin by reviewing the letter Pp and its sound with your class.
Draw 5 or 6 simple illustrations that begin with the letter p on a large chart.
With the class, sound out the letters and print in large text below each picture.
Suggestions: pickle, pie, peas, peach, pig
- one photocopied pumpkin handout per child
- a variety of orange crayons (light orange, dark orange, bright yellows, etc.
- have felt markers and other colored crayons for second part of activity
Making the kindergarten Halloween mini book
1. Students fold their paper in half lengthwise with pumpkin image showing.
2. Students fold again as in image.
3. BEFORE CUTTING! Staple the sides of the pumpkin as in image.
4. Students color the pumpkin with a variety of orange and yellow crayons, layering colors to make a more vibrant picture.
5. Students draw a face on their pumpkin with a black felt marker.
6. NOW CUT! Students cut out the outline of the pumpkin starting with the picture of the scissors. Cut out black line only, not left hand side.
7. Students print their names on the back of their mini books.
8. Students draw a picture of items that begin with the letter p in their books. They may copy from the chart or choose their Pp items. Students who are able copy the words or sound them out.
9. Students read their books to each other.