Make this simple preschool or kindergarten Halloween mini-book to practice the letter Pp (or J for jack-o-lantern or H for Halloween).
Begin by reviewing the letter Pp and its sound with your class. Draw 5 or 6 simple illustrations that begin with the letter p on a large chart.
With the class, sound out the letters and print in large text below each picture. Suggestions: pickle, pie, peas, peach, pig.
Demonstrate how the book is made before the children begin, then work through the process one step at a time with the children.
Pumpkin Mini-book Materials:
- A photocopied pumpkin handout per child
- A variety of orange crayons (light orange, dark orange, bright yellows, etc.
- Felt markers and other colored crayons ready for second part of activity
1. Students fold their paper in half lengthwise with pumpkin image showing.
2. Students fold again ending up with a small booklet with the pumpkin on the front, see the image below.
3. BEFORE CUTTING! Staple the sides of the pumpkin on the left, as in the image abve and do the next two steps, #4 and #5!
4. Students color the pumpkin with a variety of orange and yellow crayons, layering colors to make a more vibrant picture.
5. Students draw a face on their pumpkin with a black felt marker.
6. NOW CUT! Students cut out the outline of the pumpkin starting with the picture of the scissors. Tell them to cut around the outside of the black line only, but not left hand side where the staples are.
7. Students print their names on the back of their mini books.
8. Students draw a picture of items that begin with the letter p in their books. They may copy from the chart or choose their own Pp items. Students who are able copy the words or sound them out.
9. Students read their books to each other.