Try this Mothers Day kids craft to delight your students’ Mothers. Bring a bowl of flowers floating in water into the classroom to show the children a different way of displaying flowers. Most children are familiar with a vase of flowers but not too many have seen flowers floating in a bowl of water.
Show the children how most of the stems are cut off the flowers and how they are floating on the surface of the water. Children can make a Mother’s Day floating flower gift for their mothers out of construction paper. Put out a sample of the craft. Read the words on each flower, explaining how they are promises of things they are going to do, to show their mothers how much they appreciate them.
- Downloaded pattern for the floating flowers Mother’s Day craft
- Colors of construction paper for flowers
- Different color of construction paper for the bowl (or decorated paper, old wall paper)
- Blue construction paper for the water circle
- 1 inch strips of construction paper for accordion fold bits to glue from flower to bowl (makes the flowers appear to float)
- Circle stickers for the center of the flower
- Markers for printing words
2. Make enough flower tracers for the students to share. If you would prefer to precut the flowers you can do so. Use decorated paper for the bowl if you like.
- Cut out the bowl shape
- Cut out the blue water circle
- Glue the blue water circle to the bowl.
- Cut out flowers and put a circle sticker to make the center of the flower
- Print or copy a simple task they can do for their mother on each flower.
- Make accordion fold strips (with help).
- Attach one end of an accordion fold strip to a flower and the other end to the blue water circle with some tape.
- Decorate the outside edge of their bowl if they like.
- Print “I love you Mom (or Mum) . From _______”, on the back of the bowl
- The children love the way their flowers “float” around in their bowl.
Test different branches, flowers, pinecones and other plant parts to see if they float. Ask the children to investigate to find out if all the plant parts float.