What are tide pools?
Tide pools are rocky pools filled with seawater near oceans. They can be small, shallow puddles or huge, deep holes.
These complex habitats are called tide pools and are filled with many plants and animals. Although this environment is complex, young children can focus on learning characteristics and names of a few tide pool animals.
Children are fascinated by the variety of plants and animals that live in tidepools.
If you are fortunate enough to live by the ocean, tidepools are a wonderful environment to teach about an ecosystem.
Kindergarten children pay attention when they are presented with real things.
Studying a real tidepool or a collection of dead, dried tidepool organisms keeps children interested much more than learning about the ocean with an abundance of coloring worksheets, books and videos.
The information in this theme is geared for preschool, kindergarten and primary students but is adaptable for older students too.
What should I teach?
The focus of a theme about tidepools in elementary education is to:
- to teach the children observation skills
- to help children describe and record what they have observed
- to help children observe similar and different characteristics of a few tide pool animals and plants
- to help children understand the needs of tide pool organisms and how they depend on one another to survive
- to help children respect and take care of plants and animals when visiting a tide pool
- teach the children common names of tidepool plants and organisms after they have had plenty of time to make their own observations and descriptions
Other tide pool information:
- Between tides, some of the smaller pools become too warm and begin to dry up.
- Tide pool animals have to be able to survive in both wet and dry conditions.
- Many of the animals hide under cool, damp rocks and moist seaweeds so that their bodies do not dry out before the tide comes in again.
Tidepools Introduction - what do I teach?
What lives in a Tidal Pool? How do the organisms eat? Teaching tips
How do tide pools form?
Tidepool Field Trips
Starfish art and literature
Tidepool Modeling Clay Craft
More about teaching with modeling clay and modeling clay products: