Valentines Ideas - Story writing and ABC Puzzles
Children's literature is a good source for Valentines ideas.
Stories such as Little Bear's Friend by Else Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak, show children that love is demonstrated by small acts of kindness.
The Little Bear series are simple stories that are playful, warm and suitable for children, ages 4 to 8 years old.
Love can be a vague word and children need more concrete examples of what it means.
Talk about how Little Bear showed kindness in the stories and how the children can show kindness to their friends and family.
Acts of kindness ideas for kids...
- Smile at the other children
- Say hi
- Share some toys
- Help someone if they get hurt
- Help someone who is having a difficult time with an activity
- Invite a classmate who is alone to play with your group
- Say you are sorry if you need to
Begin with a story starter ...
Love is ...
- After the activities above and depending on the children's abilities, have them write a few letters and words and/or have a buddy or adult record the children's acts of kindness Valentines ideas
- Use pink paper and give students trays of crayons without black, dark blue and browns for a warm color scheme.
- See below for Little Bear books.
More Valentines Ideas - ABC Puzzles
- old educational supply catalogues
- 4 inch heart tracers or precut hearts
- I love Valentine's ideas where the children make items they can play with later. These easy to make heart puzzles are fun for the children to make and share with their friends.
- Collect old educational supply catalogues and tear out a pile of pages featuring toys, dolls, puppets and books.
- Have children:
- trace and cut out a heart
- cut out and glue a picture of a toy or book and glue it on one side of the heart
- use the catalogue pages to find and cut out the letter that the toy or book begins with
- cut the heart in half in a zigzag fashion (demonstrate how cutting too many zigs or zags can make the puzzle cards difficult to put together)
- mix up their hearts with other children's hearts and solve the puzzles
- Have the child print the letter on the back of the heart piece with the picture on it to make the puzzles self correcting.
- For more on cutting skills, read...
Purchase Little Bear Books here...Little Bear's Friend
Canadians looking for Little Bear books, visit Amazon.cafor lower shipping rates.
All Valentines day pages:
Teach math vocabulary, area, graphing and more with fun Valentine's ideas.
Use these Valentine's day ideas for a "Keep it Simple" party
Encourage literacy with these Valentines ideas
This dove makes a unique Valentine's day mobile
Valentine's Art - teach color value, shape and overlapping with picture books
Teach children about line and shape with Valentine's art
Valentines Day Art - Combine tissue paper Valentine's art with your latest theme studies
Valentines Day - Secret message Valentine and rooster Valentine art
Easy Valentines Day Kid's Cooking Ideas